We bring you here the roundup of the new smaller changes that come with iOS 8 throughout the beta testing period. Most of the changes are small but we consider all of them to be worth mentioning.
iOS 8 was released to the public on September 17, 2014, two days ahead of the launch of the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus.
The current version of iOS 8 is iOS 8.0.2, which was released to the public on Thursday, September 25, with several bug fixes.
Here are 8 of the small but great changes the new version brings:
- Phone calls over Wi-Fi – iOS 8 comes with the option of making calls over WiFi. This is great news because you can still make phone calls when you have low signal from your carrier. This feature should’ve been included a long time ago.
- Battery usage by app – iOS 8 comes with an option in Settings to view battery usage by each app. This allows to monitor which apps are draining the battery the most so you can shutdown the ones that are using the most battery to prolong battery life.
- Credit card scanning – iOS 8 comes with the option of scanning credit card numbers with the web browser app (Safari) by using the camera, with this you avoid entering manually your credit card numbers each time you make a purchase.
- Send last location to Apple before your battery dies – iOS 8 comes with a new feature that allows your iPhone (or iPad) to send its last location to Apple when the battery goes down to critical level.
- Time-lapse photography – iOS 8 includes a new Time-Lapse mode in the Camera App, what it does is capture a series of images and then compiles them into a time-lapse video. It also includes new manual exposure controls, which allow exposure to be selected when taking a photo, and a self-timer mode that can be set for three or 10 seconds.
- Identify songs – Siri in iOS8 now includes Shazam integration. If asked to Siri, “What song is playing?”, it will cause her to use Shazam to identify music.
- Recover deleted photos – In the camera app in iOS 8, it has the option to recover previously deleted pictures when you tap the small preview icon at the bottom of the screen. A photo can be retrieved when you tap the trash can icon. You can clear this menus by emptying the previously deleted picture album in the App.
- Real Time Talk-To-Type – In the latest version of iOS 8, the Talk-to-Type option on the keyboard that is used in apps like Notes or Messages began displaying text as it was spoken and not wait until a complete sentence was completed like in previous iOS releases.